Rishikesh is a small town in the northern state of Uttarakhand in India. Beautifully located where the Ganges River comes down from the Himalayas, Rishikesh gained it’s popularity in the Western culture when the Beatles dropped by for a visit to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s ashram (now closed), and the town is still known as the World Capital of Yoga.
Rishikesh is also the gateway to the Himalayas. The Char Dham Yatra (Four Shrines Sacred Journey) ideally begins from Rishikesh.
How to reach ?
- By road: One can travel from Delhi by car or overnight bus. It takes approx 5-6 hours to reach
- By train:Nearest railway station is Haridwar. Prepaid taxi can be taken from Haridwar to reach Rishikesh
- By air: Jolly Grant airport in Dehradun is approximately 20 km/30 minute drive from Rishikesh.
Best time to visit:
Rishikesh has always been a favourite weekend getaway throughout the year . However the best time to visit Rishikesh is from August to March.
Where to stay?
- There are a lot of ashrams that provide accommodation and food with very nominal charges.
- Budget friendly backpackers hostel like Zostel , Nirvana etc.
- Hotel stays(mostly not preferred)
I visited Rishikesh during January 2019 and I enjoyed my trip to the fullest as it was less crowded. I would recommend to visit during winters as the weather is pleasant and accommodation/food is bit cheap.
Things to do:
- Indulge into Yoga activities
- River Rafting
- Camping and water sports
- Experience spirituality and learn meditation
- Visit Beatles aashram
- Cafe hopping.
- Watch Ganga aarti in the evening
- Take pictures on Laxman and Ram jhula
- Bungee Jumping
I have gathered my memories in a form of photo blog so please scroll down to enjoy Rishikesh through my eyes.